Here on the blog I have a recipe section. If you know me you know my favorite place to be is in the kitchen. My love for cooking is one that I love to share. I will post a new recipe each week. This weeks recipe is called Chicken Vegetable Soup. As Winter is approaching fast and its cold I love a pot of hot soup with a sandwich for lunch or dinner.
Growing up comfort food was always a thing and on cold nights my mom would make a pot of her pasta sauce and toast french or Italian bread and that was my dinner.
This soup is so versatile you can add different protein like sausage, different veggies, and the best part is you can freeze it.
A little note to self: Soups with pasta don’t tend to freeze well simply because the noodles turn to mush when thawed and reheated, however if you want to freeze it leave out the pasta and it will last 3-4 months in the freezer, just add the pasta when you reheat the soup, if you want more flavor use chicken broth instead of water 🙂
I love ditalini pasta it’s a very short, rounded noodle shaped liked a tube. It’s almost like a tiny macaroni without the bend. you could use orzo, alphabet, or even pastina. Any small pasta works.
* see notes down below
- 1 regular sized rotisserie chicken – pulled apart (without skin) – about 4 cups chopped (you can also use chicken from the freezer and cook it and shred it)*
- 1 tablespoon unsalted butter
- 1 medium yellow onion, diced
- 8 cups chicken stock
- Salt – to taste
- 4 ounces ditalini pasta
- 2 (12 ounce) frozen bags mixed vegetables*
- 1 (15.5 ounce) can fire roasted garlic diced tomatoes*
- 1 tablespoon shredded Parmesan cheese
- 2 teaspoons lemon juice
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- Prep: Pull the rotisserie chicken apart; discard the skin use two forks to cut the chicken into bite size pieces.*
- Melt the butter in a large pot over medium heat. Add the diced onion, a dash of salt and cook until the onion is tender and starts to turn golden brown.
- Add the chicken stock and increase the heat to medium-high, bring to a boil.
- Mix in the pasta, frozen vegetables and tomatoes*. Cook for about 7-8 minutes, just until the pasta is done.
- Stir in the Parmesan cheese, lemon juice, chicken and black pepper; cook for 1 more minute. Taste for seasoning add salt to taste.
* If you can’t find garlic roasted tomatoes in a can. You can use regular fire roasted tomatoes in a can and add finely chopped garlic.
*You can use a rotisserie chicken from the grocery store to save time or you can use chicken from the freezer.
*When shredding the chicken make sure you don’t shred too small of pieces but enough to taste and see the chicken.
*Add the garlic here if your using chopped garlic make sure its finely minced food processor will be your friend.
*If your like me and have a big bag of frozen mixed veggies you can use 2-3 cups of frozen veggies depending on your liking